What is teen therapy?
The transition from being a child to a teenager is not exactly the easiest. You look different, feel different and are also expected to behave differently! The world of social media is complex and difficult to navigate. Furthermore, you yourself are confused with what’s going on to be able to clearly express how you feel. Your brain is constantly being rewired and this change doesn’t stop until you are somewhere in your mid twenties.
Amidst all this, you are somehow expected to do well in everything, make the right choices when you are allowed to, and live with other people’s rules and expectations on a daily basis.
Therapy can be a place to vent and to learn a little more about yourself. Getting non-judgmental support from an objective outsider who understands the stresses and strains of this important stage of life can be a huge relief.
It can be helpful to hear that many other teenagers struggle with similar feelings and dilemmas. Together, we can figure out some creative ways to cope with the pressure you may be experiencing.
Do you require therapy?
- Do you feel like you are unable to deal with academic and/or social pressures?
- Are you facing issues surrounding food, body image, eating disorders or self harm behaviour?
- Do you have relationship problems with peers and/or family?
- Do you have anxiety, depression or a general feeling of “the blues”?
- Do you feel that your only means to manage pain and stress is to indulge in unhealthy habits like drinking and experimenting with drugs which you now consciously want to stop?
- Are you struggling with your sexual identity or other sexual issues?
- Do you feel you need help in figuring out your values and plans for the future?
Then yes, you can see a therapist.
How therapy benefits you:
We explore your goals and intentions and discuss what, if anything, is getting in the way of you truly getting what you desire.
Various methods of engagement can be used such as art, movement and discussions. The goal here is to utilize an approach that best suits your needs.
A note to the parents
Parenting may come easily to you at times, while other times it leaves you feeling scared and confused. Often, it triggers feelings of guilt and brings up painful memories from your own childhood. It can be critical to understand your own experience with being parented. I can help you explore those feelings, identify what you value from your childhood and let go of what you don’t. Your current relationship with your partner and other family members and friends also impacts the way you approach parenthood.
Whether you are struggling with one specific issue, or with parenting in general, I can help. We will work hard to help you learn how to approach parenting in a positive and mindful manner. Together we will address areas such as:
- Communicating and connecting with your child
- Managing tantrums and undesirable behaviors
- Raising responsible and capable children
- Balancing work and home life
- Making time for yourself