What is couples therapy?
Many couples feel that therapy is a sheer waste of time, effort and money but the truth is, a relationship sometimes needs a third perspective.
Maybe you and your partner are arguing about the silliest of things and these fights escalate into something ugly. Maybe there is a big issue – such as an affair, money, in-laws or children – about which you don’t see eye to eye. Or at times, it feels like your relationship has lost its sparkle, and you feel if the two of you were not so busy leading separate lives, you would die of boredom.
In Couples therapy, in addition to resolving the specific problem that you bring to the table, the aim is to lessen conflict and re-establish a loving connection between you and your partner.
Is therapy for you?
- Do you seem to be having the same fight over and over again?
- Have you accepted the affair and now want the strength to move past it?
- Do you feel like you are stuck in a rut and want to move forward in your relationship?
- Do you feel like you put in all of your energy in things other than each other?
- Are you dealing with a health crisis, unemployment, parenting a child with special needs that is taking a toll on your relationship?
- Are you dealing with a major life transition such as becoming parents, the coming together of both your families, facing an empty nest, adjusting to retirement?
If any of these scenarios resonate with you, then you can benefit from therapy as a couple.
The purpose is to create an environment where there is less yelling, more listening, and understanding. You will learn:
to communicate better, to argue in healthier ways, to state your needs clearly and openly, and to negotiate for change within the relationship.
Couples Therapy – Some big benefits.
- Deeper and more meaningful communication with your partner
- Strength to deal with challenging situations together
- Stronger connection with enhanced intimacy and love
- More trust
- Healing from the painful past
No relationship is devoid of problems. But making an effort to save one from falling apart goes to prove that you are ready to give it a chance.